Sunday, November 15, 2009

One delicious storm

As I've spent more time nibbling my way through "A Homemade Life" I've found more delectable goodies that are must-haves on these snowy days. A few are below:



Pickled grapes. Oh, man. These are so delicious that I have to keep them slightly hidden in the back of the fridge or they'll be gone in no time. The day Flynn can open Ball jars I'm in serious trouble! A perfect pre-dinner nibble or snack. I love to eat them alongside my favorite Ines Rosales Sweet Olive Oil Tortas (find them here), which I like to top with a soft cheese or butter while sipping tea. A nice slice of prosciutto would be an excellent addition!

Chana masala. So heavenly and so easy to make. I like to prepare it sans yogurt and add extra crushed red pepper and lemon then serve over rice. Find the recipe here.


And, in the "don't knock it till you try it/no prune jokes needed" category, there are these beauties: Stewed prunes with citrus and cinnamon. I've had them on waffles and oatmeal, on crackers and plain. Then there's my favorite - serving them on a bowl of vanilla bean coconut milk ice cream with walnuts on top or a Carr's Lemon Ginger Sandwich cookie on the side. My husband, who has some seriously awful childhood prune associations to overcome, as well as a 3 1/2 year old, are both fans. That's enough convincing for me!

1 comment:

  1. I'd love a recipie or recipie link to the pickled grapes, please! Are they lacto-fermented? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete