Sunday, November 15, 2009

Wheat Berry Salad

These days I'm pretty shocked by what I'm eating. Not that any of it's bad, it's more a matter of sheer volume. I worry that one day I'll start to notice a discolored, worn spot in front of the refrigerator where I can usually be found standing, peering into the shelves. I'll find myself torn, eyes darting back and forth between a beautiful honeysuckle apple and a slab of sharp cheddar the size of a Smart Car. I'll weigh the options with arguments like, "Hmmm. Hard to choose because Big Bird recommends eating both of these. I suppose I should just eat what there's more of...in case someone else wants the apple." Of course, this is a pointless exercise because I know someone will want the apple. Me. And I'll be back for it in an hour or so.


The best defense against taking foraging to a level that will eventually land you on a reality show is to stock up on delicious, healthy things that are meant to be made and consumed in bulk, guilt-free. Early last Summer I stumbled across this book - "Super Natural Cooking: Five Ways to Incorporate Whole & Natural Ingredients Into Your Cooking" by Heidi Swanson. To me, the sign of a good cookbook is that you carry it around like a security blanket for a couple weeks and read it whenever you have a moment to spare. Doctor's appointments, the park, to movies so you can peruse during the previews. When someone asks, "How are you doing?" the response is, "Great! Wanna see my new cookbook? Wanna see? Wanna see?" I've definitely gotten my use out of this one, which features vegetarian recipes that can easily be made vegan. There's a great dessert section with recipes like Coconut Panna Cotta, Mesquite Chocolate Chip Cookies and great tips for how to swap sugar substitutes like agave nectar and honey in various recipes. I got hooked on the Big Curry Noodle Pot, Espresso Banana Muffins and Spring Minestrone with Brown Rice, but it's the Wheat Berry Salad that I'll be keeping in the fridge at eye-level for the next few months.

Combine 2 cups wheat berries, rinsed, with 6 cups water and 2 tsp. sea salt in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer, covered, until the berries are plump and slightly tender but still chewy. This can take 1 - 1.5 hours. Taste often and find a texture you like. Remember, these are very hearty and are meant to be dense and slightly chewy. Drain and season to taste with more salt.


Combine the grated zest and juice of one orange or tangerine with 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice and 1 tbsp. minced shallot. Whisk with 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup olive oil, depending on your preference and season with a few pinches of salt and some fresh ground pepper to taste. Toss the hot wheat berries with 3 large handfuls spinach (stems removed) and 1 cup toasted pine nuts. Stir in the citrus dressing and top with 1/2 cup crumbled feta or goat cheese. Enjoy cold or warm.

Cook's Notes: Heidi Swanson suggests several seasonal variations that all sound delicious; cranberry vinaigrette with toasted walnuts in Fall, basil dressing with heirloom tomatoes and corn in Summer.

I'm sure you'll find yourself walking into many walls while distractedly sifting through this cookbook. You can purchase it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment